Fancy a buttery chocolate cookie with a gooey autumnal twist? These Vegan S’mores Cookies are the perfect balance of chewy and crisp with an added marshmallowy treat!
I’ve tried to use basic ingredients so that you can whip up a batch of these at short notice. There’s nothing worse than finding a recipe you REALLY wanna make RIGHT NOW but not feeling in the mood to go coconut-sugar hunting at 6pm on a Thursday night. You can, of course, experiment with different sugars, flours and additions – swap the dates for raisins if you like, or the marshmallows for blueberries. I’ve only tried these with plain flour, but gluten-free plain flour should work fine too!
Vegan marshmallows are a little tricky to get your hands on – I recommend checking out larger supermarkets or your local health food store and STOCK UP when you see them! If you can’t find mini ones, bigger ones will do fine too – just chop ’em up a bit before adding them to your batter.
Makes approx. 9 large cookies
- 60g plant-based spread/butter
- 75g soft light brown soft sugar
- 30g white caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp soya milk
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp flakey sea salt
- 50g vegan dark chocolate
- 25g mini vegan marshmallows
- 4-6 medjool dates, seeds removed
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add vegan butter, brown sugar and caster sugar to a large bowl use an electric hand-whisk to mix until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and soy milk and whisk to combine – be careful not to over-mix or the mixture may split.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt and mix in until well combined.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and dates into small pieces and stir into the mixture along with the mini marshmallows.
- Divide the dough into nine portions and roll each into a ball. Place them well spaced apart on the baking trays and flatten very slightly using your fingers or the back of a metal spoon.
- Sprinkle a little extra flakey sea salt on the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until pale golden – they might not look quite done but they will firm up as they cool!
- Leave to cool on the tray for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy straight away or store in an airtight container once cool.