Need a sweet, festive, doughy treat to get you through all that present-wrapping, card-writing and meal-planning? I have the answer! These hearty little buns are perfect for brining along to a Christmas pot-luck, or for having stashed in the kitchen for when you’re in need of a coffee and a sit-down.
I used shop-bought mincemeat for the filling, meaning I could whip these babies up super super quick, but you could make you’re own if you’re feeling adventurous or you can’t find any in store.
I dusted these with icing sugar to finish but you could also top them with a sugar glaze or cream-cheese frosting!
Vegan Mince Pie Cinnamon Rolls
For the dough:
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
150g plain white flour
310g strong white bread flour
1 sachet (7g) fast action dried yeast
45g soft light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp salt
55g dairy-free butter (plus a little extra for greasing the bowl and tin)
250ml soy milk
For the filling:
20g dairy-free butter
300 g mincemeat
2 tbsp icing sugar for dusting
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with 2 tbsp water and set aside to form a “flax egg”.
- In a large bowl mix together the flours, yeast, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Add the dairy-free butter to a small saucepan and warm over a medium-low heat until just melted.
- Add the soy milk to the melted butter and stir to warm through. Be careful not to overheat – test the temperature with your little finger, it should feel lukewarm to the touch.
- Add the milk and butter mix to the dry ingredients along with the flax egg and combine with a wooden spoon until the dough becomes thick enough to knead with your hands.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 2 – 3 minutes, until it starts to form a loose ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and continue to knead for 4 – 5 minutes, or until the dough becomes smooth and springs back when lightly pressed.
- Place your dough in a lightly greased bowl (I use about 1 tsp of dairy-free butter), cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rest in a warm place for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a large rectangle with a thickness of about a £1 coin.
- Spread the dairy-free butter and then the mincemeat evenly over the dough.
- Starting from the long edge, roll the dough into one long scroll – try to keep it fairly tight but don’t apply too much pressure so as to squeeze out all the filling!
- Cut into 9 equal sized rolls and space evenly in a lightly greased 8 x 8 inch baking tin.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to proof for 30 – 40 mins or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 185 Celsius and bake for approx. 20 mins, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool and then dust with icing sugar. Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days. I like to warm them for 30 seconds in the microwave before eating!