When I first started following a plant-based diet, there were loads of foods I thought I’d never be able to eat again: cheesecake, ice-cream, French toast, pancakes, waffles, etc. etc. But, it turns out, you can still eat all these things and (even better) experimenting with different variations and substitutes can be even more fun!
Basic Ingredients (Makes 4 Slices)
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I use soya)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tsp. dairy-free butter
- Chocolate French Toast: Sub cinnamon for 1 tbsp. cacao powder
- Gingerbread French Toast: Sub maple syrup for molasses and add 1 tsp. ground ginger and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Lightly toast the bread for 1 – 2 mins, or until just starting to darken in colour.
- Meanwhile, add the milk, chia seeds, maple syrup and cinnamon (and any other flavours you are using) to a large bowl – I like to use one with a large base as it makes dunking the bread much easier and whisk until well combined.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp. dairy-free butter over a medium heat, in a medium-sized non-stick frying pan.
- Dunk 1 slice of bread into the milk mixture and hold for 10-15 seconds to allow the mixture to absorb. Flip the bread over and do the same on the other side so that the whole slice is saturated.
- Place the bread into the heated pan and use a spatula to press down on the top side to ensure the bottom side is receiving an even amount heat from the pan.
- Cook on one side for 3 – 4 minutes and then use the spatula to flip the bread onto the uncooked side and cook for anther 2 – 3 minutes.
- Repeat steps 4 – 7 for each slice of bread. You can keep the cooked slices warm under the grill.
- Serve with whatever toppings you fancy. See below for inspiration!