Made using jackfruit gifted by Jack & Chill foods
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the Ragu:
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 300g pack Jack & Chill frozen jackfruit
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 large handful fresh basil, torn
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g tagliatelle
For the vegan parmesan:
- ¾ cup salted cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Black pepper
- Spread the jackfruit out on a baking tray and defrost in the oven for 10 minutes at 150 Celsius.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, carrot and celery. Heat the oil over a medium-high heat in an oven-safe pot and add the finely chopped veg, minced garlic and generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until veg has softened then turn down the heat to the lowest setting.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to crush the plum tomatoes to make a chunky sauce.
- Add tomatoes to the pot along with the tomato puree, oregano, chilli flakes, jackfruit, basil and 1 cup water. Mix well.
- Partially cover the pot and place in a 150 Celcius oven for 2 – 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the vegan parmesan by adding all the parmesan ingredients to a food processor and pulsing until they reach a finely ground consistency.
- About 10 minutes before removing the ragu from the oven, cook the tagliatelle according to the package instructions.
- Remove the ragu from the oven, add the balsamic vinegar and stir well.
- Stir through the tagliatelle and serve with the vegan parmesan.