These Christmas Chai Rooibus Brownies are the perfect festive treat and went down an absolute storm in my house over Christmas! They’re super easy to whip up and even easier to polish off – especially when warmed up in the microwave and served with some dairy-free ice-cream!
- 225g vegan dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp soy milk
- 2 Joes Tea Co. Christmas Chai Rooibus tea bags (or similar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking tin with parchment paper.
- Combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to gel.
- In another small bowl, empty the tea leaves from the bags, cover with 2 tbsp boiling water and set aside.
- Set aside half the chocolate and melt the other half over a bain-marie.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and vegan butter and use an electric hand mixer to whisk until smooth.
- Add the vanilla, flax egg, melted chocolate and soy milk and whisk until well-combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, tea leaves and spices and fold with a spatula until well combined.
- Cut the reserved chocolate pieces into small chunks and stir through the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with pecans and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a fork inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing, store in an airtight container and eat within 5 days.