PAID PARTNERSHIP WITH ALDI UK FOR WORLD VEGETARIAN MONTH
Ingredients (all available in Aldi Stores)
- 2 extra-large white onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ small butternut squash
- ½ large sweet potato
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 – 4 springs fresh thyme
- 1 pack shortcrust pastry
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 pack Superfood Salad Mix
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 30 cm non-stick tart tin
- Mandolin or very sharp knife
- Shape the pastry in the tart tin, using your thumb to gently push pastry right into the corners and chill overnight in the fridge or in the freezer for 10 – 20 minutes.
- When the pastry is chilled, pre-heat the oven to 160 Celsius.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Thinly slice the white onions and add to the pan along with the leaves from 2 – 3 sprigs of thyme. Season with salt and pepper and cook over a medium-low heat for 15 – 20 minutes, adding a splash of water if onions start to stick.
- Thinly slice the garlic, add to the pan and cook for a further 20 minutes until soft and sticky. Leave to cool.
- While the onion mixture is cooling, peel and deseed the butternut squash, sweet potato and red onion.
- Very thinly slice the butternut squash, sweet potato and red onion using a mandolin or very sharp knife. Set aside.
- Remove the cooled pastry from the fridge/freezer, keeping it in the tin, and spread the mustard over the bottom of the pastry using a silicon brush or the back of a spoon.
- Add the cooled onion and garlic mix and flatten using the back of a spoon.
- Layer the sliced vegetables in concentric circles until the entire top of the tart is covered.
- Mix together the remaining oil and thyme leaves and brush over the top of the tart.
- Bake for 55 – 65 minutes or until vegetables start to brown and pastry is golden.
- Allow to cool in the tin before removing.
- Serve with Superfood salad mixed with oil and balsamic vinegar.